All Finnish municipalities, in total 310 (2020), are members of the Association of Finnish Local and Regional Authorities — the AFLRA. We also provide services to and cooperate with Finnish hospital districts, regional councils and joint municipal authorities.
The AFLRA has a chief executive officer and two deputy managing directors, who together with the unit directors and HR and strategy managers form the extended executive board.
- Minna Karhunen, CEO
- Timo Reina, Deputy Managing Director
- Hanna Tainio, Deputy Managing Director
The AFLRA’s decision-making bodies are the Delegation and the Board. The Delegation elects the Board and approves the AFLRA's budget and financial statements. The Board manages the AFLRA's activities and has a steering committee for preparing the matters to be handled for the Board and taking care of any other matters assigned to it by the Board. The Delegation and the Board consist of representatives of local authorities and have 76 and 15 members, respectively. The Delegation is elected every four years by a vote by the members.
- Chair of the Board: Joona Räsänen (Social Democratic Party)
- 1st Deputy Chair: Sari Rautio (National Coalition Party)
- 2nd Deputy Chair: Tapani Tölli (Centre Party)
The AFLRA has two advisory committees. The Advisory Committee for Small Municipalities ensures that the association takes account of the special needs of small municipalities in its work. The Advisory Committee for Swedish-speaking Municipalities oversees that the association provides services in Swedish to Finland’s Swedish-speaking and bilingual local authorities.
The AFLRA's subsidiaries engaged in business activity:
- FCG Finnish Consulting Group: http://www.fcg.fi/eng/external link
- Publishing company KL-Kustannus Oy
- Service company Kuntaliitto Palvelut Oy
- KL-Kuntahankinnat Oy, a joint purchasing body for local and regional government: http://kuntahankinnat.fi/enexternal link
- Kuntatalo Oy, the House of Municipalities